Sunday, February 18, 2007

Instant Matzo Ball Soup

I've found that it's a little harder to keep kosher than I had originally thought. Some things are easy. Eating for example. I haven't had pork/pork products since I was 16. That's almost 7 years. So making the commitment to not eat pork was not a problem. After spending a good chunk of time as a commited vegetarian I was also not to worried about saying that I was only going to eat kosher meat. Meaning that if I did choose to eat meat that it would have been slaughtered/prepared in a kosher manner. What I wasn't looking forward to was swearing off some seafood.

Because I wasn't eating meat I was consuming fish and various other creatures of the deep. But, I've had to leave some of them behind. Shrimp for instance. According to the laws of kashrut you can only eat fish that have scales (and swim close to the surface). So anything without scales and those little bottom dwellers are out. Which is a sad thing. Because I like me some quality shrimp. They're really tasty! There's also the small problem concerning clams. Living only an hour away from the coast means that I'm an hour away from Mo's and their delicious clam chowder...just thinking about it is getting me hungry. But that's besides the point. I guess in the end it's a question of whether or not I can live without clam chowder and shrimp. I think I can.

Cool thing though, while picking up some peanut butter and bleach at Freddy Meyer today I stumbled across a tiny section of shelf space (I mean seriously tiny) devoted to some Kosher food. They had kosher chocoalte, kosher top ramen, kosher soups, kosher matzo mix, and my personal favorite, kosher instant matzo ball soup. Like ramen but with matzo. Will probably have to give that a try next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know a place that has even better clam chowder than Mo's...but it would be useless to tell you now. Too bad I couldn't tell you of the Nye Beach gem before you gave up clams!

Parting Words Of Wisdom

"The fear of rejection really kind of stunts your growth as a person. I mean, it's like a friend of mine says, who cares if you fail? Who cares if you fail? It's like babies try to get up and walk all the time and they keep falling down. If we just gave up, we'd all be crawling around." — John Rzeznik
Blog tracker