Friday, December 22, 2006

A little note from the farm

For the past couple of days I've been taking care of my friend's farm (yes, the whole farm) and it's been quite fun. I'm getting really good at herding the ducks and milking the cow, but probably the one thing that has improved the most since I've been here is my skill at harvesting with a sickle. Why would I need to know how to do such a thing? Well the answer to that is very simple. The cow that they have is exclusively grass fed, which means that twice a day she needs a bag of grass cut for her so that she can be milked and given the proper nutrition. Simple.

Harvesting with the sickle is a lot of work though. As it was put to me, "You're going back about 5000 years in farm history with that thing", awesome. The entire civilization of Mesopotamia was built on grains harvested with a sickle. Forget that that civilization crashed and burned, but I'm doing just fine. And for those people out there who are playing those crazy role playing games where you pretend to be farmers or what not and you have to do the harvest to get points or whatever (I really don't know), you have no idea what it's like to harvest!!!!!!

Ok, mini-rant over. I promise. All in all I'm having a super fun time out here on the farm. I would recommend spending quality time like this to everyone.

No comments:

Parting Words Of Wisdom

"The fear of rejection really kind of stunts your growth as a person. I mean, it's like a friend of mine says, who cares if you fail? Who cares if you fail? It's like babies try to get up and walk all the time and they keep falling down. If we just gave up, we'd all be crawling around." — John Rzeznik
Blog tracker